Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Southern Fried Porkchop Omelette

Yesterday was one of those mornings where I really didn't want to do much in the way of breakfast. However, the girls have been giving me a half dozen eggs a day, and I'm running out of places to put them...so I figured omelettes might be in order.

I rummaged about in the fridge looking for meat, because you know and omelette isn't the same without some meaty goodness... I found some pork chops I had made for dinner, score! 

For each omelette: 

1/3 med boneless pork chop, chopped into bite sized pieces (whole chop divided into three portions)
2-3 large eggs (depending on the appetite) PER omelette
1 tbsp milk
Garlic powder (home dehydrated/ground) to taste
Onion powder (home dehydrated/ground) to taste
Salt & Pepper to taste (freshly ground is best) 
Chives - fresh is best, mine are dehydrated from last year's garden as this years crop just won't grow. 
Shredded cheese of your choice - I used Extra Sharp Cheddar this time
1-2 Tbsp bacon grease for cooking

To start I added just a bit of the bacon grease to a non-stick pan.  I fried the pork chop bits until they browned a bit. 

Who doesn't love pork fried in bacon grease? 
 Next I mixed the eggs, spices, and milk together in a bowl, just like scrambled eggs.
Make sure to mix well! 

 Pour your egg mixture gently into the pan over the pork bits. Swirl your pan, or shake to make sure the pork is evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
Look at the yummy, just look at it!!!

Shred your cheese (or use preshredded) onto the omelette once it is cooked nearly through. If it looks like the photo above, you're just about ready for cheese. You want your egg to be moveable, but not liquid when you add the cheese. Continue cooking like this just until cheese melts. Then, flip one side of the omelette onto the other.
This doesn't have to be perfect... notice the holes in mine?
Now, this is where I sometimes mess up, and wind up with cheesy, meaty, scrambled eggs... but aside from a couple of holes, this one turned out just fine. Shred shome cheese on top, and a sprinkle of chives and cook just until cheese melts.
Oh I wish you could taste this! 

Plate up and serve immediately! Enjoy the yum, and prepare for compliments! 
You can use any combination of meats/veggies you choose. Just be sure that for raw/cold meat you cook or heat thoroughly before adding your eggs. I love using leftover veggies too, like sauteed mushrooms, broccoli, or even tomatoes. Make your own combos. Let me know in the comments what your favorite combinations are - so I can try them myself!!